3.06.2008

Creative Kitchen Adventures



So...I thought I would be creative, and make HOMEMADE cake mix..into cupcakes! Since I didn't know the exact ammount of time to bake them...they were a little iffy, but they taste ok! I think a little more experimenting and I'll have the exact time down! They tasted ok, didn't look the best, but they did taste ok! I need to find a new recipe for homemade cake...anyone have any ideas? Send them my way! I think next time I'll make a layer cake...but it will be in a while..I think I am sugared out! :) And my HOMEMADE buttercream frosting is pretty good too! It was the best part of the whole deal! I kept eating it! (no wonder I had a belly ache last night!) :p

Well, here is the recipe for the frosting for anyone who is interested...

BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

(makes 1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 tsp. vanilla

4 cups (approx. 1 lb) confectioners' sugar

2 tbsp. milk

Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk, and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Keep covered with damp cloth until ready to use.

Store frosting in fridge. Keeps for up to two weeks in fridge in an airtight container. Rewhip before using.

Buttercream icing variations:

For pure white forsting and a stiffer consistency: omit butter and add 1/2 cup all vegetable shortening and 1/2 tsp butter extract, and use clear vanila.

To thin icing: Add 2 tbsp more milk or corn syrup per recipe.

To stiffen icing: Chill icing or add more confectioners sugar

For chocolate frosting: Add 3/4 cup unsweetened chocolate or 3 (1 oz.) squares melted unsweetened chocolate plus 2 tbsp. milk per recipe. Mix well.

For colored icing: Add a few drops of food coloring to white buttercream frosting, being careful not to add too much.

No comments: