2.23.2008

Recipes!!! :)

Ok, so while everyone was here I made scones, and besides...it's a favorite here in the Davis house, I thought I would post it, since they want my recipe.

Karen's Freakin' "A-MAZ-ING" Bread/Scone Dough
  • 4 cups warm water
  • 2 packages yeast
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 8 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons oil
  • 7-8 cups flour

Add yeast, salt, sugar, oil, and warm water in mixing bowl. Let stand for a few minutes until it starts to bubble. Add flour one cup at a time until dough is soft but not sticky. Knead well and make sure it is mixed well.

BREAD:

Cut into 4 equal pieces and turn into loaves. Put into greased bread pan, cover, and let it rise for about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350*F and bake for 30 minutes. Place on cooling racks to cool, then remove from bread pans.

SCONES:

Heat oil in pan. Pinch off about a handful of dough, stretch it out like you would a pizza. (*I always put a hole in mine so the oil can get through and cook the top center portion...I learned this from my mom) Place in hot oil, wait until side is golden brown and flip it over. (*Please be careful as to not splash!)

**note: I usually cut this recipe in half since it is usually just Dustin and I. A half a batch will make about 4-5 scones plus a loaf of bread. For a large family, a half a batch will work fine, unless everyone wants seconds.

No comments: